Mauritius standards bureau (MSB) is a corporate body which was formed under the Mauritius standards bureau act 1993. The bureau is responsible for standardization, quality assurance, testing and metrology and also exhibits confirmation of assessments. The custodian of national measurement standards is for mass, length, force, temperature, pressure and electricity. MSB is the member of most of important organizations such as international organization for standardization (iso), international electrotechnical commission (iec) and african organization for standardization (arso).
MSB has 5 technical divisions for the core functional activities which are the standards development division, quality assurance division, chemical division, metrology division and engineering division. These divisions are guided from the support services also along with finance, marketing, general administration, human resources, documentation and information services.
Consumer protection act:
The consumer protection came to existence from 1st october 2017. It is the regulation set up for safety requirements and offshore companies in Mauritius. This regulation if for the purpose of verification which is the certificate of conformity (COC). The enforcement authority is given by ministry of industry, commerce and consumer protection.
Procedure of MSB:
- The goods which are imported is inspected under MSB, where it is tested whether the goods are covered from COC.
- Before importing there should be formal request done in the MSB website where the importers should fill the request form with the verification on COC to submit MSB.
- after the submission the MSB can continue in issuing the letter of confirmation or non-confirmation letter to the importer.
- The standards of goods safety are verified by various services such as electrical, mechanical and fire
- Visual inspection such as marking, instructions, construction done, etc.
- Input in power and current consumption
- Di-electric strength test
- Leakage of current test
- Earth resistance test
- Insulation test of resistance
Documentations to MSB:
The documents to be submitted for MSB are as follows;
- Request letter along with the details of importer
- Invoices of proforma
- Conformity certificate where the certificate should contain the specific imported material
- Original certified copy of COC
- Acceptance of only a conformity assessment which is issued by a third party
- Validity date of COC
The duration of receiving the certificate takes around 2 to 5 working days.
The fee charged for the certificate is around 700 mur for each certificate which is charged by MSB.
- Testing certificate of the import goods
- Name of the applicant
- Name of the factory
- Number of the certificate
- Release date
- Validity date
- Applicable model
- Standard of the product
- Technical signatory