Nowadays, many Sri Lankan citizens trying to obtaining a visa to Bangladesh. Because Bangladesh is a middle economic country in the South Asian subcontinent of Asia. Known as one of the world’s most densely populated countries. Bordering India, this country’s capital is Dhaka.
Bangladesh and Sri Lanka have long since enjoyed amicable relations. This is because the two countries mutually conduct trade and investment. This leads to mutual benefit for the two countries. Moreover, a large number of Sri Lankan medical students also opt to study in Bangladesh. This has resulted in a large Sri Lankan community in the country itself.
If you’re a Sri Lankan citizen or a Sri Lankan passport holder and you want to get a visa to Bangladesh, you will have to apply for one. This is as visa on arrival does not apply to Sri Lankan passport holders.
A single-entry visa to Bangladesh for a Sri Lankan national costs LKR 1500. This visa may be used for a stay of up to 30 days in the country. As of 2019, all visas must be filed for at a country’s respective Bangladesh mission.
You may also fill your application online on the country’s new portal. While it is only available for a limited number of countries, Sri Lanka happens to be on that list. You may download the visa application form on the website for Bangladesh’s visa information.
Once you complete your application, you may print in out and submit it at your local Bangladesh Mission. You may refer to it Visa of Bangladesh. At this stage you may also apply for a multiple entry visa. This visa will be more costly, where you will be charged LKR 3000 for the application.
In order to file for a visa to Bangladesh, you will first need to gather the following documents:
- A printout of the application form you filled in online.
- 2 passport sized photographs. These must be recent, with a plain background.
- A passport that is valid. It should also not expire within the next six months.
- A letter of invitation from the hosts you are being accommodated by or
- Relevant proof of hotel bookings
- Your flight itinerary. You may also opt to show air ticket reservations, along with the return tickets.
- You will also need to submit bank statements for the previous 30 days.
However, if you are submitting a different type of visa application other than Single Entry/ Multiple Entry Visa, you will need to submit the following additional documents. These visa types are usually specialized and therefore need supporting documents. This is in addition to the documents detailed above.
Employment Visa (Also known as technician visa)
- A copy of your employment contract from the relevant Bangladeshi company that you are to work
- The recommendation letter from the board of Investment sent to the High Commission
- You should also submit a copy of your latest tax return certificate
As Bangladesh grows economically, many foreign investors are flocking to it. The following extra documents are needed for an investor specific visa:
- Recommendation Letter from the company of interest in Bangladesh
- A letter of recommendation declaring your status as an investor from either the Board of Investment of Bangladesh or The Bangladesh Export Processing Zones Authority
Bangladesh is home to many of Asia’s most prestigious medical colleges. That combined with the low fees and cost of living attract many Sri Lankan students. In order to file for a student visa in Bangladesh, you will need to submit the documents below as well.
- Your admission documents, such as formal offer letter from your university.
- Relevant bank statements declaring that you can fund yourself and your studies
Next, you will need to submit the application along with the relevant documents to the High Commission of Bangladesh. These submissions should be made during working hours. This is because all applicants will be asked to attend an interview for the visa. Do note, that all visa fees are to be paid in Sri Lankan Rupees. Moreover, this is to be paid in cash at the counter concerned. Furthermore, if any of your documents are not in English, an official English translation will be required alongside the original.
If your application is successful you will be able to receive your visa within 5 working days. As such you may head to the same High Commission during working hours to pick up your passport as well as your visa.
The High Commission of Bangladesh in Sri Lanka can be found at the following address:
No. 03, Srimath R. G. Senanayake Mawatha,
Cinnamon Gardens, Colombo, Sri Lanka.
To conclude, Sri Lankan passport holders cannot obtain a visa on arrival for Bangladesh. In order to obtain a visa, one must submit their application at the High Commission of Bangladesh. This is a simple process and requires minimal fees. Also, you may want to know about how to start a new business in Srilanka.