Mauritius is one of the tourist destination countries in the world. Tourism is a very important industry in the country as it is the most important and forth contributing factor of the country’s economy. The country is an island surrounded with a beautiful tropical landscape. The country is so beautiful, it has clean air and fresh waters. The seas and beaches in this island are the highlighted features in the country. As per the recent record, in 2019 there were 1,450,000 visitors which shows 3.6% increase rate compared to last year (2018) which was 1,399,408.
According to UNESCO the county has 2 sited of world heritages which are Aapravasi Ghat and Le Morne Cultural Landscape along with these Black River Gorges National Park is also currently there in the list of UNESCO.
Mauritius Tourism Authority was formed in 2006 under the corporate body of tourism. This was formed for long-lasting and safe tourism. But, the development of tourism was already set up in 1950’s where there were 1,550 visitors.
Over the years the tourism rate has been increasing and the industry has been a very important impact for investment, entrepreneurship, wealth and job creation. Due to the increasing success of the industry there was a record in 2015 where there were over 1.2 million visitors in 2015.
The tourism authority has been doing a good job of sustainability and continuous improvement over the years. The activities organized by the authority has been further increased and there has been increasing demand for tourism. Due to the increasing amount of demand and in order to function this steadily, an institution was formed in 2003 which was created for tourism.
The objective of Mauritius Tourism Authority is to be the leading first-class tourist spot countries in the world. It is to provide tourist people comfort, warmth and all kinds of hospitality services. The goal is to make tourist have no problem and have the best memories.
Law and regulation of tourist authority:
- The country’s tourist authority is operated by the parastatal union which in under the aegis of the Ministry of Tourism and External Communication which is owned by the Tourism Authority Act 2006, the year where Mauritius Tourism Authority was formed.
- The tourist authority published is the body corporate of the country.
Functions of tourist authority:
- License, regulate and supervise tourist
- Registration for the purpose of tourism craft
- License to be provided for the functions of canvassers and skippers
- License for the recreational purpose for tourist to watch whale and dolphin
- Managing and developing the tourist spots
- Publishing the rules and regulations, codes and practices of how to legally function the Tourism Authority Act.
- Proper investigation and serious action should be taken for activities which are done illegally and improper activities.
- Preparation according to the plan for the growth and improvement of the tourism industry.
- Using proper actions to protect the tourist
- Continuous information to be wide spread of the country’s tourism rules and regulation according to the Tourism Act 2006
- The Minister of the country to understand the rules and regulations of the tourism department
Services provided by tourism authority:
- Accommodations for tourism such as hotels, tourist residences, guest houses and domentaries
- Leisure activities for tourist
- License and permission grant for commercial and private use for tourist
- Skipper license
- Canvasser permit for pleasure craft operation
- Inspection on cleanliness
- Updating and renewal of tourist spots
- Hotel grades to change from 2 star to 5-star hotels
- Revamping the products and services portfolio provided for tourist
- Security, monitor and supervise the tourist
Key activities of tourism authority:
- License for tourist enterprises
- License for leisure activities which includes commercial and private purposes
- License for skippers
- Environmental and cleanliness program such as cleaning, greenery, embellishment and removal of eyesore lines.
- Tourist Accommodation Certificate
- Tourist Enterprise License
- Pleasure Craft License
- Skippers License